Scrum says a team should be 3 to 9 people. But sometimes you want or need to go faster, so you add more teams. This process calls Multi-team Scrum or Scaled Scrum.
Challenges of Multi-team Scrum
- Now you need to coordinate not only a single team anymore
- Scrum Master need pay attention to dependencies in the Product Backlog
- Manage also dependencies in the Sprint
- New responsibility – integrate work from multiple teams
Done on One Team vs. Multiple Teams
In Single Team
– Goal: done, working software.
-If it doesn’t meet the DoD, it’s not done.
In Multiple Teams
– Goal: done, working, integrated software.
– If it doesn’t meet the DoD and if it isn’t integrated, it’s not done.
Multi-team PBI Recommendations
- PBIs should done by one team in one Sprint
- Manage dependencies between PBIs
- Create a new integration team: Job is to make sure everything is integrated
- One Product Owner for all the teams
-One product – one Product Owner